A few weeks ago I posted a blog post and video, How I Get Rid Of Acne Breakouts Fast (My Top 5 Remedies). In that video I talked about a very specific skincare routine I followed for healing active acne. I received quite a few questions. So, I thought now would be a perfect time to sit down and chat with you about the skincare routine I followed, and answer all your questions.
I truly believe having a mild, gentle, and minimal skincare routine helps support your skin to balance out, and get healthy and clear again.
In today’s video I go over:
- Why it’s so important to have a gentle skincare routine to clear up acne?
- What is the most important product in your acne skincare routine?
- What products you should avoid when you have active acne?
- Do you really need a moisturizer when you have acne?
- What skincare ingredients you need to stay away from?
- Do you need a toner, mist, or other treatment products in your acne skincare routine?
- Could too many products or ingredients be messing up your skin?
- Is natural/organic products better for acne than mainstream skincare?
- Are my skincare guidelines different if you are using natural/organic skincare?
- What kind of sunscreen should you use when you have acne?
- What about anti-aging when you have acne?
- What about getting rid of acne scars when you have active acne?
And just a reminder of what I said in the beginning of the video – if you really want to clear up breakouts and acne for good (and get the best and fastest results), you’ve got to work on everything. That means, improving your diet, lifestyle, and skincare routine. All these things works hand-in-hand. It’s not only about products you are using, but also eating healthy, reducing stress, getting good sleep, etc.
Other blog posts and videos you should checkout:
- How To Get Rid Of Acne Breakouts Fast (My Top 5 Remedies)
- Honey vs Oil Cleansing Method For Acne
- How To Wash Your Face With Honey (Tips + Demo)
- Oil Cleansing Method For Acne Prone Skin (Tips + Demo)
- Mask Acne – Tips For Preventing Breakouts While Wearing A Mask
- How To Use A Spot Treatment Properly
- How I Cleared Up Adult Acne Naturally
- Why Your Skincare Products Don’t Work To Get Rid Of Acne
Recommended skincare ingredients to avoid while you have active acne
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)
- Drying Alcohols (denatured alcohol, ethanol, alcohol denat, ethyl alcohol, methanol, benzyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, SD alcohol)
- Synthetic fragrance or perfume
- Chemical sunscreen filters (oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate, octinoxate)
Skincare ingredients that can cause sensitivity or breakouts
- Coconut Oil
- Waxes (beeswax, petrolum based waxes, etc.)
- Butters (shea butter, cacao butter, etc.)
- Essential Oils
- Silicones (methicone, phenyl trimethicone, dimethicone, cyclomethicone, dimethiconol, dimethicone copolyol)
Recommended products for acne prone skin
- LOA SKIN Botanical Beauty Elixir
- LIVING LIBATION Sandalwood Best Skin Ever
- LEAHLANI Pamplemousse Tropical Enzyme Cleansing Oil
- LIVING LIBATIONS Best Skin Ever (Seabuckthorn or Frankincense)
Wash Cloths For Oil Cleansing:
- GROVIA Cloth Wipes
Mild Gel Cleansers:
If honey or oil cleansing doesn’t work for your skin and you prefer a gel or rinse off cleanser, these cleansers are gentle and very good at cleansing skin and removing makeup and sunscreen.
- INDIE LEE Purifying Face Wash
- VERDURA NATURALTERNATIVES Bamboo Diva Facial Cleanser
- DRUNK ELEPHANT Beste No.9 Jelly Cleanser
- INDIE LEE Brightening Cleanser
Moisturizing Oil Blend:
- LOA SKIN Botanical Beauty Elixir
- LEAHLANI Siren Brightening Serum
- LEAHLANI Aloha Ambrosia Morning Moisture Elixir
- LIVING LIBATIONS Soothsayer Serum
- LIVING LIBATIONS All Season Serum
- LEAHLANI Happy Hour Balancing Serum (for dry acne prone)
- INDIE LEE Active Oil-Free Moisturizer
- LIVING LIBATIONS Rose Renewal + Frankincense Firming Fluid
- ODACITE Oleosomes Time Release Delivery Creme
- LIVING LIBATIONS Rose Glow Creme (for dry acne prone)
Aim to get a mineral sunscreen that has 10% – 20% Zinc Oxide (non-nano), and SPF 30 or higher.
- SUNTEGRITY Impeccable Skin SPF 30 (oil-free and silicone-free)
- SUNTEGRITY 5in1 Tinted Facial Sunscreen SPF 30
- VERDURA NATURALTERNATIVES Blue Fairy Concentrate
- INDIE LEE Banish Solution
- INDIE LEE Overnight Banish Gel
- INDIE LEE Banish Stick
- LIVING LIBATION Zippity DewDab
- LIVING LIBATIONS DewDab
- MARIE VERONIQUE + KRISTINA HOLEY Intensive Repair Serum
- Tea Tree Essential Oil
I strongly recommend taking a break from makeup while you are clearing up breakouts and acne, but, I know that isn’t possible for everyone. If you must wear makeup, here’s a few recommendations:
- ANNMARIE SKIN CARE Minerals Multi-Purpose Foundation (sample kit or full size)
- RMS BEAUTY “Un” Cover-Up
- RMS BEAUTY Tinted “Un” Powder
- SUNTEGRITY Impeccable Skin SPF 30 (it’s a medium coverage foundation sunscreen, oil-free and silicone-free)